I am Chantal Baker, director and founder of Champ Consultants. We are accountants and tax consultants based in Caterham. We are looking forward to answering your questions and providing advice.

What help am I entitled to due to the coronavirus, COVID-19?


As an employer if your business has had to close, or if you have less business, you are permitted to Furlough your staff. It does not need to be all your staff and you can be selective. They have to have been on your payroll as at 28.02.2020. The government will pay you 80% of their salary (to a maximum of £2,500 per month) plus employers NIC and employers workplace pension contribution. You will need to register your employees on a specific portal which is still being designed. The government have confirmed that the period covered so far will be from 01.03.2020 to 31.05.2020. This may be extended if needed. There are a number of conditions that apply to the employee and the calculation and so always check these before applying.

Self employed
Your income will be assessed over the last 3 tax years. If the average over this period is £49,999 or below, you are entitled to claim the self employment income support scheme. This amount is 80% of your monthly net profit to a maximum of £2,500 per month. This is a grant and does not need to be repaid but it will be taxed. The government will cover the period from 01.03.2020 to 31.05.2020 and this may be extended. There are conditions to the claim and how it will be processed so please check before doing anything.

Grants are available between £10,000 and £25,000 depending on your rateable business property and your business industry. These will be supplied by the local council.

Time to pay
If you have tax bills to pay and need extra time due to a decline in business due to the COVID-19, you can contact HMRC in order to arrange a payment plan. The number to call them on is 0800 024 1222.
The government have confirmed the VAT payment due between now and 30.06.2020 can be deferred. There will be no interest charged and no penalty incurred. They will need to be paid by 31.03.2020. Self-assessment payments on account due by 31.07.2020 will not need to be paid and can be deferred until 31.01.2021. Interest will not be charged on any deferments.

All businesses including sole traders, are entitled to apply for a Business Interruption Loan. This is supplied by the banks and is 80% backed by the government. There is no interest payable on the loan for the first 12 months.

Universal credit
Any funding required can be claim through universal credits if you have no income.
Mortgage payments
The banks are also providing a three-month mortgage holiday. You will need to apply for this with your mortgage broker.
I have recorded some videos on these topics in more detail and these can be found on You Tube under Champ Consultants.
I am happy to receive your questions for future answers in The Caterham & District Independent Newspaper. You can email your questions to: info@champconsultants.co.uk or

Share this article