11-year-old River-Blue is an aspiring chef. Each month, he will be sharing one of his own original recipes.
Mouthwatering mussels (serves 5)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1kg live mussels, cleaned (don’t use any with broken shells or open shells that don’t close after a firm tap)
- 100ml dry white wine
- 100ml double cream
- Large handful chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan, and then add the shallots and celery, stirring constantly until softened
- Add the garlic and continue to stir
- Then add the mussels and wine, and cook away on a high heat, with the lid on, until the mussels have opened (about 3-4 minutes), shaking the pan occasionally
- Then add the double cream & parsley, plus salt (not too much, as the mussels will be naturally salty) and lots of pepper
- Take off the heat and serve immediately with a crusty baguette or bread!