We have started compiling a list of the events, organisations and businesses who are offering support to Tandridge's Ukrainian guests and their hosts. If you know of anything else available in the district, please let us know and we'll add it to this page.
From Tandridge District Council newsletter (11/8/22)
- There is a monthly drop-in centre at Soper Hall in Caterham, where guests can pick up donated clothes, school shoes, trainers and ladies work shoes, toys and books. Representatives from the Job Club, Citizens Advice and the Eastern European Resource centre also attend to provide information and advice.
- There is a fortnightly pizza night on Thursdays at the Arc in Caterham. Ukrainian guests can enjoy pizza and drinks and their children can play in the soft play area. You can also be collected and dropped back home wherever you live in the district as free transport is included.
– From the National Trust: All adult refugees, from Ukraine or elsewhere, living with an active National Trust member can receive a free 6-month admission pass. It covers all accompanying children under the age of 18. Refugees can visit independently of their host family.
– Free 3-month bus passes are available for Metro Buses (the 400) from Surrey County Council. Apply here.
– Refugees looking for work are invited to come along to the Oxted & District Job Club, where they will be supported in their search.
– WhatsApp group 'Ukraine Refugee Support' comprises approximately 60 local people who are hosting, preparing to host or keen to help. Exchange information, make useful connections and seek support. To be added, email Claire Dunn (email@example.com) with your name and number.
– Cllr Kerry Mansfield co-ordinates a team, consisting of the Westway Centre, Caterham Salvation Army & Caterham Rotary, offering support across Tandridge, including children’s English classes with a qualified teacher, coffee mornings and benefits advice. Future activities include petting zoo sessions with Karen's Pets & Ponies, and skating at Skaterham. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive information.
– English lessons for children, with a qualified English teacher, every Thursday morning from 10:00 – 12:00, at the Westway.
– The Westway also has a conversational English session, Jane's Tea & Chat, from 13:15 – 15:00 every Thursday afternoon.
– Events at Soper Hall, Caterham
- A weekly coffee morning will be starting on Wednesday 18 May (10:00 – 12:00) so visitors can meet and socialise. Free tea, coffee and cakes will be available.
- A weekly sewing, knitting and crochet class, Stitch for Peace, will be running from Wednesday 25 May (12:30 – 14:30).
- Email email@example.com for more details.
– A group based at All Saints, Oxted, is creating a bank of volunteers to support hosts and their guests, and runs a coffee morning every Friday (9:00-11:00). Arrangements for adult English lessons, and more, are underway. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for information/to be added to a local hosts’ database.
– Flower Farm has accommodation and work available for refugees: contact via flower-farm.co.uk.
– Lingfield’s Jeny Stark, who runs family hairdressers Sharp Cuts For All, is giving refugees free haircuts: find her on Facebook.
– Kings Leisure Centre, East Grinstead, has free 3-month memberships for Ukrainian refugees, available from reception.
– Andy Macleod-Carey, Bluebird Plumbing and Heating Ltd, offers free gas safety checks for hosts. Find him on Checkatrade.com.
– A Facebook page, Oxted and Hurst Green Welcome Refugees, has been created for anybody who is hosting, or who would like to offer support.
– St Paul's Church in Woldingham is holding a coffee morning for Ukrainian visitors, every Thursday from 08:30 to 10:30.
– Bastet School of Dancing is inviting Ukrainian children to their free dance classes, to allow them to settle in and make friends. Contact email@example.com or ring 07894 715655â€‹ to book.
– The Accessibility Project is putting together a programme of events. See the chart below for activities already in place, and email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
– A Facebook group, East Surrey with Ukraine has been set up for Ukrainians of East Surrey, plus their friends, volunteers and host families.
– A new website, Tandridge4Ukraine, will be going live soon.
– The Arc, Caterham, is offering a free play pass to the soft play area (for under 10s) and access to the baby corner (for under 2s), with a free snack/meal for qualifying Ukrainian guests.
– The following hair and beauty businesses in Oxted are offering free services (including cut and blow dries, barbering services, manicures and pedicures) to Ukrainian refugees living locally: