For the cupcakes
110g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
110g soft, unsalted butter
110g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 medium eggs
2 tsp milk
For the icing
180g unsalted butter
250g sifted icing sugar
Flavouring of choice (I like lemon and vanilla extract)
Green food colouring
Icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (non-fan oven 190°C).
- Line a 12-cavity cupcake tin with 12 fairy cake cases, and place aside.
- Put the flour and baking powder in a bowl, then put to one side.
- Place the butter and caster sugar into a bowl, then add the vanilla extract.
- Cream together with a hand-held electric whisk until light.
- Add the eggs one at a time and whisk them in until smooth.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the bowl and fold in carefully with a spatula until smooth.
- Add the milk, and fold in carefully until smooth.
- Pipe the batter evenly into the cases
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the centres spring back.
- Remove from the oven and cover the tray with a tea towel, until cold.
- For the buttercream, place the butter and icing sugar into a bowl.
- Add flavourings of choice, then cream with a hand-held electric whisk.
- Whisk until very light, then add green colouring to your desired shade.
- Place the icing into a piping bag, with a 10mm star tube.
- Pipe a very thin line around the edge of the case to the edge.
- Pipe the icing from the centre upwards, like a Christmas tree.
- Add some sprinkles, then dust with icing sugar.