Following on from last month’s article discussing gluten-free baking here is a recipe from my book Café Cakes for an orange polenta cake
1 x 20cm cake
160g unsalted butter
160g caster sugar
Zest of 4 large oranges
1 tsp orange extract
2 medium eggs
1 tsp baking powder
160g ground almonds
120g orange juice
170g caster sugar
Icing sugar to finish
1. Line a 20cm springform tin with parchment paper and place aside.
2. Weigh the flour and baking powder and sieve onto parchment paper.
3. Add the polenta, ground almonds to the dry ingredients & place aside.
4. Soften the butter and place in the bowl for a stand mixer.
5. Add the orange zest, extract and caster sugar.
6. Beat for 5-6 minutes until light then scrape down.
7. Add the eggs one at a time beating each in well.
8. Scrape the mix into a large bowl then add the dry ingredients & fold in.
9. When the mixture is smooth scrape into the tin and spread level.
10. Bake at 150°c for 25-30 minutes until springy.
11. Meanwhile make the glaze, boil the orange juice and sugar together.
12. Simmer for 30 seconds then remove from the heat.
13. When the cake is springy remove from the oven.
14. Brush the top of the cake with the syrup until all used up.
15. Cool in the tin for 30 minutes then place into an airtight container.
16. To serve, dust lightly with icing sugar.