1 x Loaf Cake ingredients:
90g unsalted butter
115g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
180g plain flour
Pinch of salt
2 tsp baking powder
240g very ripe banana (net weight)
1 tsp whole milk
20g demerara sugar
1. Line a 1lb loaf tin with parchment paper or a cake liner and place aside.
2. Weigh the dry ingredients and sift onto a sheet of parchment.
3. Place the butter, flour & sugar into a bowl.
4. Cream with the hand held electric whisk for 4-5 minutes until light.
5. Scrape down then add the eggs one at time and beat each in well.
6. Add the dry ingredients and fold in carefully with a maris.
7. Mash the bananas add the milk then place into the bowl.
8. Fold in carefully with a maris until smooth.
9. Place into the tin and spread level sprinkle with the demerara sugar.
10. Bake at 160°c for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
11. Leave to cool for 30 minutes in the tin.
12. When the cake has cooled place into an airtight container.
Banana cake or bread is called this because it’s baked in a loaf tin hence the shape. I have tried many versions some with butter some with oil and different sugars and raising agents and ended up with this recipe which on balance I think is pretty good. Self-raising flour can be used instead of the flour and baking powder it should work fine.